Many couples love the idea of tradition in weddings. Others, though, prefer to try their own ideas, tweaking tradition wherever they need to.
They often find that the wedding cake is a great place to try novel ideas out on. If you’re the adventurous type and would like to have fun with your wedding cake, here are 10 ideas to consider.
1. The high-fashion wedding cakeFlorals, fringes, ruffles, lace, brocade, beading and other fashion-inspired touches can be attractive ideas for wedding cakes. The best part is, you get to do more than to simply add random decorative fashion touches to your cake. You get to use them to create a coherent, fashion-inspired design, perhaps after the style of a favorite designer.
2. The Russian bread cakeIn certain Russian/Ukrainian wedding traditions, weddings feature beautiful, decorated bread, rather than cake. In the tradition of those cultures, the bread wedding “cake” is more than just a tasty and pretty confection – it helps set the tone of the marriage. The bride and groom each break a piece off with their hands; whoever gets the biggest piece gets to be the head of the household.
3. The wedding pancakeStacking pancakes one on top of the other as high as you want and drenching the entire construction in syrup isn’t an ancient wedding tradition. Rather, it’s a homey, new one that many marrying couples try these days.
Buttermilk pancakes work best for this wedding cake. You can even try your favorite fruit fillings between layers.
4. The savory wedding cakeIf either the bride or the groom doesn’t enjoy sweets, the savory wedding cake could be a good idea. These cakes can be as elegant to look at as you want. Bakers tend to have their own recipes: cakes flavored with red pepper, ones made of pasta, smoked salmon and any other ingredient you like.
5. The sushi wedding cakeFor those who love seafood, a sushi wedding cake could be an idea to try. Many Japanese restaurants take requests for these creations – they make their tiers out of edamame seaweed, avocado, greens and all kinds of seafood.
If you decide to have a sushi wedding cake on your wedding day, it’s better to have a second cake which will be sweet and delicious. After all, not everyone loves sushi.
6. The wedding cake that you order at a butcher’sSome butchers offer a special item for weddings: porkpie wedding cakes. These are multi-tiered cakes made of square or round pork pies, laid one on top of the other.
They are decorated with the roasted vegetables that you would normally see on any porkpie. These cakes can make a great conversation piece at any wedding.
7. The floral nature cakeThe nature cake trend isn’t about organic cake recipes. Rather, it’s about wedding cakes that are decorated with real flowers and foliage, instead of shapes made out of icing. Decorating your wedding cake with real flowers is a cheap yet chic way to make your big day even more special.
8. The nude wedding cakeRemember the popular line ‘It’s what’s on the inside that counts’? There’s sense in it. The nude wedding cake may not look breathtakingly beautiful, but it’s delightfully tasty.
Bare, exposed cake is all the rage today. These cakes are decorated with frosting sugar, syrup and plenty of fruits.
9. The cupcake wedding cakeA cupcake wedding cake isn’t a large cupcake. Instead, it’s a collection of beautifully decorated cupcakes arranged on a tall, multi-tiered cupcake-holding cake plate. Marrying couples love the kind of effect that cute cupcakes have on their guests.
10. The sculpted wedding cakeIf you would like to have your cake represent an unusual shape, you don’t have to bake the whole cake that way. Instead, you can call in a cake sculptor who has skills in cake sculpting. These professionals can cut nearly any kind of shape into a cake.
These are only a few of the many unusual ideas that people have for interesting wedding cakes. Wedding pies, wedding cookies, wedding donuts and other ideas are tried all the time.
You simply need to be adventurous. You can’t please everyone, so don’t be afraid to have a sushi wedding cake, if you really want it.
What’s your favorite wedding cake idea? Share your own ideas with us, please.